Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Cottage Trip in the Finnish Forest!


About 30 of us international students hiked (flatland hiking) to a cottage 6km into the forest. The cottage was fairly rustic, complete with a smelly outhouse, no running water, a kitchen (with a microwave?#%!), and a bunkroom/living area all in one. The long wooden table got a great deal of play throughout the weekend, hosting pasta meals, muesli & yogurt breakfasts, baked bananas with chocolate and a superfluous amount of international drinking games. Oh, I think the table even got danced on a few times by my favorite Belgium roommate. The cottage sits right on a lake and the sun was beaming as the weather was a perfect 50 degrees (15C)...made for a beautiful weekend in the forest! It reminded me of the many hut trips in Colorado, without 8 feet of snow and a topo map.



9 comments:

Ali said...

Where is the part in which you literally laid on me while I was sleeping and claimed to the whooole world "ALI, I OWN MY ASS"???
And thought I was a... horse or something... and danced on me and clapped my little BR ass?
Lovie, you can't omit everything... We need to get that video with Melissa. It's the sociological qualitative proof of a serious quantitative amount of drinking games!!!

:D

About Me said...

According to the law of quantitative research, it is only a hypothesis, until the evidence is collected and interpreted into a deep theoretical meaning. Therefore, you are just dreaming...it never really happened, it's all in your head. Are you hearing voices? Sorry luv, I can't download video into movie maker. Argh!

Anonymous said...

καταπληκτικό! Σου βάζω τγία

fanatic4u2 said...

It sure looks like you had a wild time! Did I see a picture of Jason half passed out in some guys lap? Watching the video just brought a smile to my face. You all are making the most of your adventure!! It is a good thing that Oslo was a lot more mellow or you all would be burnt out by now! = )

About Me said...

Yes, I do believe that was Jason in Phillip's lap. It was definitely one of Jason's finer moments. The cottage trip was equivalent to the mayhem of the Copenhagen trip...wish you were here Kristi! Hugs to Oslo...!

Anonymous said...

Maybe some of the moments caught on camera here aren’t some of my best, but it sure was a great trip and I thought the video you put together was excellent! Strong work Leasa. Plus the use of Axelle Red’s music was a nice touch – I’ve had some of her songs in my head ever since we’ve been back. Great friends, beautiful weather, incredible fun…when do we go back?!?

The Gaslight House said...

You sure do know how to have fun in Tampere! From experience I wouldn't say that Oslo's a lot more mellow (to quote Kristi) but your blog's an evidence that there are more things to explore there! :-)

Anonymous said...

What's with the ashes on your face? :)

My time in Finland didn't involve NEARLY enough drinking apparently!

About Me said...

The ash marks on our face were the remains of losing a game. Everytime you lost the game then someone burned the end of a wine cork and you got a mark, kind of like a cow being branded. Notice I only have a few...but others had many...