Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Moscow, Russia!

An overnight train brought us to Moscow, where we joined another 110 international students from a few Universities in Finland. We walked out of the train station and it was surreal; Russians buzzing about not afraid to grab the wallet in your pocket, the distinct Russian architecture tantalizing your eyes and the Russian alphabet screaming, "You're not in Finland any longer." We jumped on buses and began a day of city tours. First, the RED SQUARE, with the Kremlin walls beckoning one side of the square, the dazzling and colorful St. Basil's Cathedral at one end, Lenin's tomb and the sassy and upscale mall occupying the Gosudarstvenny Universalny Magazin (GUM) on the northeast side of the square. It was a fusion of incongruous values, yet stunning architecture right in one big square. You could see the wax like-figurine of Lenin's body rolling in his grave as wealthy Russian's throw down big roubles to purchase the latest fashion at Paul Smith & Dior and satiate their voracity with the golden arches of capitalism, McDonald's.



We spent a good amount of time in the Red Square (see pics) and then we wondered safely to the Ulitsa Arbat street, a pedestrian mall lined with cafes, souvenir stands and buskers. We were lucky enough to see the April Fool's Day Parade where heaps of Russian's blow bubbles and parade through the streets (see video).

Another highlight, the Moscow Circus full orchestra. Honestly, the acts with the lions, bears and horses were cruel but the acrobats and orchestra were quite entertaining. Outside the circus ring, the exhibition hallway is home to doped and sedated animals where sleazy Russian's charge a load of roubles to take a picture with the animal (see video).

2 days in Moscow and now the overnight train to St. Petersburg...

3 comments:

bnsweimer@gmail said...

Looks like the sun was out and, of course, dazzling sights to see. Good thing you took bus tours as one could not see everything on your own. You definitely got a taste of what Russia has to offer. Question: Was it all you expected and would you go visit again?

About Me said...

It was very different than what I expected. You don't see the disparity in terms of socio-economical status that you hear about. I think my images of Russia were very primitive compared to the sophistication I actually experienced when I was there. Granted, I was in the main tourist areas and I would expect that most disparity could be better witnessed outside the main city hot-spots. Also, I was a little taken back by the corruption that is still pervasive even today. I guess I was thinking it was all exagerated stories...but a few unlucky fellow travelers experienced the corruption first hand.

About Me said...

Would I go back again??? Absolutely! But, I would like to get off the beaten path and experience the real Russia.