Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Thesis Love Affair...


The process of choosing a thesis topic is ARDUOUS, it's like choosing a mate. I have all of these expectations about how it will feel when I finally meet my match; fireworks, connection, prince charming riding in on a white horse...but that hasn't happened yet, even after a list of about 20 topics. The act of embracing the topic of my dreams by June 8, seems impervious, unfortunately I don't have time to wait for the right one to come along and sweep me off my feet. I will just have to settle...it may not be perfect and there may not be fireworks, but it will be a love affair. People say that writing a thesis is a love/hate relationship, much like a marriage. Sometimes, you love the topic and some days you hate it, but love eventually endures. My "proposal" presentation is June 8, and I'm hopeful the elusive connection will magicly occur expeditiously...I will keep you posted. Photo: Deep thesis thoughts in Ireland...!

5 comments:

Jo said...

Hi! We had our seminar last Friday, and already people have changed their topic. I got some great ideas as how to make it even more related to what I want to work with. Prof. Maassen even gave me a thesis title suggestion.

And the amount of time spent writing the proposal, including finding topic was about 6 hours. I had forgotten all about it until Kristi reminded me two days before due date. I did mind- mapping for an hour or so, let it rest until the next day, wrote introduction gathering my thoughts about what I wanted to do with my thesis; Workrelated, interestrelated etc, and then it just went along on its own. Don't worry, it'll come to you :)

fanatic4u2 said...

I wish I would have had some more information regarding what the thesis seminar would be like. Peter started it all be asking who had a powerpoint presentation! Everyone at the table looked at eachother in shock. No one really expected to have this huge formal presentation. We thought it would be just receiving feedback. Everyone had to present their topics and justifications for choosing them. So, be prepared to know what your motivations are, what your methodology will be, and what you expect to reach at the end of it all. The seminar lasted 7 hours!! And that was with only 12 people presenting. But I guess you have two days of seminars, right??? Just be prepared to sit and listen for a long, long, long time!

Wow... that was a long comment! = )

About Me said...

Holy crap, powerpoint presentation??? I don't even have a title, let alone a presentation. Ugh! Oh well, I'm going in thinking that I might divorce this topic, if something better comes along. If I get some constructive feedback...I will be happy. Thanks for the heads up ladies!!!

Ali said...

How many coats are you wearing in that photo by the beach?? Like... 4? That's more than in Greece!

:P

Erm..... what's thesis topic again? I hope is NOT a person.

\o/

About Me said...

Dude, it WAS cold in Ireland, o.k. not COLD but not warm either. On the sunny days (4 out of 7 days...which is quite lucky...luck of the irish I suppose) it was jeans/one shirt weather. On the cloudy, rainy days, we fashioned about 4 layers up top and a scarf around the neck?! I will postthe Ireland movie soon...if you like mother nature, you will want to check out this movie!