Today marks the end of my internship at the University of Pretoria. I packed my bags this a.m. (I'm training for the travel packing world cup) and schlepped them across the street where I will "couch-surf" t
his weekend at Helen's & Edwin's house. Saying goodbye to individuals who I've met along this journey is difficult but it also brings me perspective on the kindness of humanity that you find around the globe. Here at the Department of Institutional Advancement, I was welcomed with open arms (a
nd biltong, the famous beef jerky, and rooibos tea.) My stay was short, yet educational (politics exist not only in the U.S. & European higher education system, the workday here is
shorter, the technology is vunerable and lagging behind) I will always
remember the South African personalities that shaped my experience (Ninette's laughter, Palesa's tale of love, Peter's kind-hearted nature and "everyday greatness", the genuine nature of Linda, and the wicked sense of humor of Ella.) Thank you all for sharing your culture with me and making me feel like part of the team.To every end, there is a new beginning! On Monday, I start my travels throughout the wild country of South Africa. Stay tuned...On Monday I head to Kruger National Park for a safari!!
PHOTOS: Overlooking the City of Pretoria (top), Spud...hilarious book about an Africaans boy in boarding school...A MUST READ! (middle), Mandela advertisement at UNISA (University of South Africa) (bottom), Palesa (my colleague at Uni of Pretoria) and her kids (very bottom!)
1 comment:
Looks and sounds like you threw a little of everything in your short stay at the university. I'm guessing that you left as much or more with your being there. There is always so much to share no matter where you go if one is willing. The people you meet mark ones life forever. Thanks for the experience! RIGHT!
Post a Comment