Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Random South African Thoughts!



A few random thoughts:
1.) HATFIELD--I live in the student neighborhood by the University of Pretoria, called Hatfield. Within 2 blocks of my home, there is a square with a mall, banks, eateries, grocery store, cafes, and internet cafes. I have found a Chinese restaurant that serves up some mean sushi (yes, sushi at a Chinese restaurant), my favorite cafe is News Cafe where you can watch SkyNews (a UK news channel as scandalous as FoxNews) and read the local newspaper filled with an crime reports, and the grocery store sells burrito shells (rockin!) but no refried beans. On Sunday, there is a local market where you can buy amazing African artwork (for cheap), food, and watch live African entertainment. It's something I look forward to every week.
2.) FOOD--the food here is delectable! The crispies (in the photo) are fried yummy desserts filled with rich syrup. Hard attack time...but so delicious! The authentic local food is spicy and flavorful. In Soweto, there is a cozy tavern in the township, Wandie's Place, that serves up traditional South African cuisine and this picture displays my plateful of goodness. Pap (ground maize that looks like mashed potatoes, but tastes like nothing) is a local favorite that is served with most authentic meals.
3.) Today is a HOLIDAY! Yes, Women's Day in South Africa is a public holiday. What a novel idea!
4.) ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS...over 3,000 immigrants from Zimbabwe are pouring across the border into South Africa. Times are tough in Zim, as the food and resources are depleting and the leader, Robert Mugabe, is an oppressive individual. However, South Africa doesn't have the opportunity that many Zim's hope to discover after swimming through a crocodile infested river to cross the border.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Hi you! I think you made a wise choice when you skipped here for there... Won't say too much in a place like this, but I have to admit that I am looking forward to Europe. Nice to be somewhere you can count upon at least meeting people who speak English at least.

About Me said...

Yes, this experience in South Africa has been mind-blowing. A year's worth of education on South African history packed into about 2 months. But, I'm sure Japan has been an education all on it's own. Don't be too sure everyone speaks English in Portugal, because they don't! In fact, not many people, except some of the younger generations, speak english. Time to learn Portuguese!

Mama Weimer said...

I was wondering about the food and its accessability. The food looks very much into grains and starch, not much vegetable. Do they have much in line of fresh vegetables and fruits? Sushi, that's up your alley. I se that sweet tooth can be satisfied to some degree. Any chocolate chiip cookies?

Jo said...

Oh, I have never expected many to speak English in Portugal, few people do in all of Italy/ France/ Spain/ Portugal, but I expect to be able to get around, as I have when I have been to those places. But I can read the signs there, I can manage to understand the meaning. I don't understand anything here. It is extremely hard... never been anywhere harder... And I am going to learn Portugese. The plan is to be able to lead a conversation by next summer. 2,5 languages is not enough for my dream job ;)