Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Friday, September 21, 2007

South African Wine Country!

Stellenbosch is the second oldest town in South Africa; it's rolling green mountains perfectly sprinkled with vineyards and it's university town vibe makes this a trendy hotspot. I spent 2 nights here at the Stumble Inn backpackers and met some amazing fellow travelers by the fire and in the dorm.
In these S. African travels I have discovered that dorm rooms are essential
for not only budget travel (only $12/night) but it also serves as a great venue to meet colorful characters to check out the local
nightlife with. Who needs privacy???
The wine tour proved to be an amazing day of drinking wine, tasting cheese, and eating perfect, juicy, red, local strawberries in the sunny vineyards with a group of fun Irish, a funny Swiss-German bloke, and a South African comedian posing as our wine guide. We visited 4 of the most beautiful vineyards in the Stellenbosch region; Simonsig, Fairview, Dieu Donné, Moreson and after all of the tastings our guide, Lucas, informed us that we had each drank equivalent to one bottle of wine (not counting the glass of red at lunch). I love my red wine and discovered that the Stellenbosch regional grapes produce spicy shiraz and exploding cabernet sauvignon that makes you want to come back for more.

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

Leasa, how many bottles did you drink? The wine country looks amazing and I can see it is relaxing. Love the picture of you sitting overlooking the wine country. I noticed the good looking guy sitting next to you (a fellow traveler?). Bet you met lots of them which does make traveling a lot more interesting.