Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year from Portugal!



Happy New Year from the quaint Portuguese town of Aveiro! Here are a few of my favorite photos that I shot on New Years Eve. It was a day filled with photography and reflections of my time in Europe.
After reflecting on 2007, I realized it was a TREMENDOUS year; I bagged 12 countries, and lived in 3 of them, met more amazing people and saw 4.5 of the big 5 while on safari in Krueger National Park . Awesome!

Top 10 memorable moments of 2007:
1.) Moving 100 kg. (220 lbs.) from Oslo to Finland, and then to Portugal. Ugh! Not sure this is something I will cherish, but it has been a BIG part of the adventure. I'm now an expert mover and charge by the hour.

2.) Eating reindeer (but I don't eat meat??), drinking vodka in an ice cup while lounging in an ice chair in the Ice hotel, and dog-sledding in Lapland, Sweden with Ash.

3.) Singing in the night train to Moscow and waking up to a stinky Russian and a red rose.

4.) Hiking with the wild goats, including Ali, in Crete, Greece.

5.) South Africa. WOW...so many memories; safari, abseiling down Table Mountain, biking the Cape of Good Hope, a weekend trip to Soweto, and all my new South African friends. Need I say more?
6.) Watching my parents, as they were serenaded to by a jolly old Irish lad in a packed Irish pub in the small coastal town of Dingle, Ireland. Happy 40th anniversary Mom & Dad!
7.) Re-discovering the feeling of a body, mind, and soul in balance while in Tampere; an amazing yoga studio, amazing sisterhood (a great Belgium roommate, a fellow American friend, and the Indian/Brazil team), Finnish saunas, and a favorite Indian restaurant.

8.) An all-nighter in Brussels; lost wallets, beer, ripped jeans, waffles, a nose-piercing, an Aussie, and a U.S. Navy Reservist.

9.) Taking a pilgrimage (and being kicked off the bus) to the religious sanctuary of Santiago de Compostela in Spain with Laura.

10.) Making the decision, after painful deliberation, to go back to Oslo to write my thesis. There is just something pulling me back there, perhaps it is the force to complete the full circle of this journey; OSLO, Finland, Portugal, OSLO.

May 2008 bring you joy, laughter, and exhilarating memories!

5 comments:

fanatic4u2 said...

I tend to think it is me pulling you back.... but think what you want! = )

About Me said...

Of course it's you Kristi, I have to pay off my debt! Ha, ha! See you soon in cold & dark Oslo...L.

Jo said...

Cold and dark are just the starting letters... But there are some nice things to it too though, like tall men;) Welcome back, I think our paths almost cross in the sky over mid- Europe somewhere. Hope you're stay here'll be good.

About Me said...

Hey Jo...I can't wait for the eye-candy and the SNOW! See you in the air. L. Have a great time in the non-smoking Portugal, woohoo!!

bnsweimer@gmail said...

I see they put up new decorations for the new year. That is fantastic. I kind of miss the tile walk and closeness of my daughter. Enjoy your last days there.

So many memories and good times. Are you sure you deserve all of them? Of course you do. That is what life is about.