Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA. The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
Sleepless in Oslo & other ramblings...
It is now Wednesday. I arrived in Oslo on Saturday. You would think I would be back to sleeping like a baby while the nights are dark and the city is quiet. Not so much! Where is my sandman who sprinkles the sleep dust? The last time I saw him I was jolly-as-ever on the transatlantic flight to London with my gay flight attendant feeding me wine. Well, I am anything but jolly now. I'm tired. I'm brainless. I'm achy. And I have a thesis to write. This has got to be a nightmare! Justin Timberlake, forget it...I don't want my sexy back, I want my sleep back!
The research question:
To what extent does sleeping 16 hours (yes, 2 nights of sleep back-to-back) the night you arrive back in Oslo, cause sleep patterns to be disturbed?
Sub-questions:
Why does sleeping from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. hinder the natural bodies circadian rhythm and make it harder to fall asleep when normal people sleep in Oslo?
How will this tired state-of-being affect my thesis writing, can I get a doctor's note for an extension, at what point should I slam sleeping pills, when should I succumb to living life on the night shift?
Good News! It is Thursday and I just woke from a FULL night of sleeping. Oh yeah baby! I'm now going to capitalize on my brain power and catch up on the last week and a half of brain travelin'.
And, I have to apologize for this non-sensical post...but that was just the state of mind I was in. Welcome to the wacky world of jet-laggin'!
2 comments:
Good News! It is Thursday and I just woke from a FULL night of sleeping. Oh yeah baby! I'm now going to capitalize on my brain power and catch up on the last week and a half of brain travelin'.
And, I have to apologize for this non-sensical post...but that was just the state of mind I was in. Welcome to the wacky world of jet-laggin'!
The video will help all travelers. Didn't know about the sunglasses. Is that for real?
Post a Comment