Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Sweet Home Colorado!

I arrived home Wednesday night after a marathon from terminal 5 to terminal 4 in the Heathrow, London airport. Damn, it was straight out of a movie...me running to the gate like a mad woman. Suffice it to say, I made it on the flight with no seconds to spare and when I stepped into the airplane they said, "Weimer from Oslo has arrived" over the PA system. I felt like I was a rockstar walking onto stage, as sweat trickled down my face and my luggage banged the seats as I rushed quickly to my seat. When I arrived at the Denver international airport they called my name AGAIN over the PA system, "Leasa Marie Weimer please see a customs official." Uh-oh, this can't be good! And sure enough, they reported that my bags were still in Europe. Oh well, I can't complain about traveling light or my 30 seconds of fame as my name was announced to the world. After I was cleared from customs, my family was toting a sign (see photo of my mother), just in case I did not recognize them.


It's quite nice to be home! Family. My father's 65th birthday (see photo). Mountains. Hiking. Good food. Old stomping grounds. Friends. More on my re-entry into the American culture later...

3 comments:

bnsweimer@gmail said...

Touchdown in good old Colorado!!!! Took awhile for you to reappear. Now to enjoy your old stomping grounds for a month or so, than off to a new adventure. Isn't the journey exciting?!!!

Kristen said...

Yay! I hope we can swing by the Med together when I get home (next week). I think A Basin is still open...that could be a possibility too!

Jo said...

Hmmm, this reminds me of a certain trip to Japan, and someone almost killing Danish kids during the sprint to the plane... It is a horrible way to start a journey! But sounds like you are well off being at home :) Wish you all the best for the summer and hope to see you again!