Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Paper Writing Machine!

Leasa's world is now filled with paper-writing (day in & day out!). In my Introduction to U.S. Higher Education class we have to analyze how an U.S. institution of higher education works (organizational structure & governance). The kicker is that we had to choose an institution that we did not have affiliation with, therefore I chose a university I know nothing about...the highly reputable Ivy-league university in the heart of New York City, Columbia University. Did you know that the tuition at Columbia is almost $40K/year? Did you know that Columbia also has the 2nd largest number of foreign students in the U.S.?

The other paper...ugh...social theory! We have to analyze a social theory and I have chosen the market theory. Ya know, the exchange of goods for a price, consumers/producers, market-oriented policy instruments, blah, blah. It is all mushy in my head right now. All I know is that I am a consumer and I need to purchase a massage, as I have a knot in the middle of my back the size of a watermelon. Maybe the government will look at this knot as a market failure and bail me out...like they did AIG. What the hell? Okay, maybe I'm getting a bit off topic...back to writing! 10 more pages to go...

3 comments:

Ali said...

Where is grumpy cow in the photo??? \o/ wanna see it!

Anonymous said...

http://www.ideservemassage.com/

!!!!!!

Mama Weimer said...

Leasa, sounds like this new venture is nothing like getting your Masters. Welcome to the Doctorate program. Give it a good try. It all may become a matter of routine. Sounds like some boring topics, but I'm sure you can make the most of them. Stephanie seems right on with her message.