Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Friday, November 14, 2008

A Conference & a 20-page Paper!

The day after elections, I schlepped my sleepy self from bed and piled into a University of Georgia van with seven of my classmates. The euphoria from the elections was still running through my blood as we drove to Jacksonville, Florida (see photos) for the Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE) conference. This is an annual conference where students and faculty in the field present their work for critique and discussion. The highlight for me was meeting up with two old friends from my years in student affairs. Both of them jumped off the student affairs ship and joined the academic world just as I have...so, we had a great deal to talk about. From student affairs to the academic world is quite a change and can be quite cold, lonely, and cut-throat. I suppose I am slowly becoming socialized to this side of higher education, but truth be told...there are days when I miss the nurturing environment of student affairs. Plus, it is extremely difficult when my student affairs experience is dismissed as fluff. Nonetheless, the conference was refreshing and my friends were inspirational.

I came home just in time to slam out a 20 page paper on the debate surrounding college affordability. This was anything but an easy paper. You don't want to hear the real words I would use to describe this assignment! But, today I finally turned it in and now I am catching up on my blog and reflecting on the hellish week.

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

As I visited with you a couple of days ago via phone I heard a student who was more optimistic and am glad to hear that. We want you happy and feeling good about life. Words of wisdom from your peers are always of great need. You now have a month or so to ponder and relax a little and enjoy friends and family. You are "True Grit".