Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Reflections of PhD Life & Things I Adore!

Even though I still had a concluding paragraph to write for my final paper of the semester, I boarded the plane--departing to Denver--with a warm smile not only on my face but also in my heart. To say this semester kicked my butt would be a gross understatement. Readjusting to life in the U.S., in no other place than the conservative South, was a challenge. Not to mention that I was thrown into the rigorous life as a PhD student, where reading 500 pages of literature and writing 20 pages in one week is completely normal. Despite the competition, bastion of male dominance, and intense socialization; I am alive and kicking! You know...challenges in life make you cherish the things you love the most: skiing, family, friends, laughing, yoga, wine, and an international perspective. And, the next three weeks will be all about those things I adore the most.

Here are a few things I love about Christmas at my parents house...Raven (the queen kitty), Christmas cookies (frosting them with dad & eating them with the family (my brother is the cookie monster on the left!)

2 comments:

Mama Weimer said...

Tradition-Christmas cookies to be cut and frosted. I try to get all involved as it is time consuming, but rewards in the end. By the way here January 12th, I still have some left. I freeze them to keep them fresh.

About Me said...

OMG...Mama Weimer bakes the BEST sugar cookies in the world. I'm not joking! And, they are best frozen!!!