I needed a break from the UGA at O
xford bubble that has a way of sucking you in. So, I paid 7£ for a round trip ticket on the Stagecoach bus to Stratf
ord-upon-Avon. The bus ride through the beautiful countryside made me realize what a lovely region of England I live in. I need to explore more!!When I looked at the weather report there was a BIG sunshine, hence the reason I did not pack an umbrella. Bad idea! It turned out to be a schizophrenic rain/sun day which made for a day of running into stores and cafes that I otherwise would not have
visited. Moral of the story: when in England...pack your umbrella regardless of what the weather forecast predicts. When the sun did shine, I enjoyed the quaint village nestled in the rural Warwickshire countryside. I abstained from visiting the tourist traps of the Shakespeare legacy; gawking at the bed where Shakespeare used to sleep just feels too contrived and inauthentic. I opted, instead, to walk the beautiful Avon river and side streets of Stratford. The highlig
ht was the Guild Chapel founded in 1269. As the natural light beamed in through the stain glass, the rustic church became a photographer's dream. I had the place to myself. Of course the cream tea in the afternoon took a close second to the Chapel. Before I knew it 16:20 had arrived and it was time to climb back on the bus and journey back to Oxford, the place I currently call home.
ht was the Guild Chapel founded in 1269. As the natural light beamed in through the stain glass, the rustic church became a photographer's dream. I had the place to myself. Of course the cream tea in the afternoon took a close second to the Chapel. Before I knew it 16:20 had arrived and it was time to climb back on the bus and journey back to Oxford, the place I currently call home. Random fact: The controversial British Tellytubbies show is filmed on a 6-acre farm in Stratford.
2 comments:
How did this city get its name? Pretty strange!!! I thought you had figured the weather out by now. The walk by the water looked rather fallish with all the leaves. It's too bad about the rain. I truly loved the creme tea in Oxford. I gather you enjoyed it as much. I know how you like tea any time.
Well, to answer your question mom...here is what I found on wikipedia, "Stratford-upon-Avon has its origins in the Saxon culture of medieval England (the name "straet-ford" indicates that it was a river crossing)." And, yes, Stratford has the Avon river running through it. So, there you go.
Post a Comment