Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Friday, January 01, 2010

A Bridge to Athens, Georgia

Back to Athens! After an amazing six months in England and an entertaining holiday season in Colorado, it is time to get back to reality.

New-Year-2010-005New-Year-2010-024So, I packed up two fifty pound bags and headed South to the land of academia. A week before school/work resumed, we decided to explore Georgia nature at its finest. I was pleasantly surprised by our first adventure. We visited a state park known for the longest covered wooden bridge in Georgia, Watson Mill Bridge, circa 1885. While the surrounding area New-Year-2010-055was brown and dull, the chill in the air put a little extra kick in our step and we went for a hike. Despite the beautiful blue skies and no snow on the ground, we were the only people on the trail, which we soon realized was a theme to Georgia trails in the winter.New-Year-2010-031

2 comments:

Mama Weimer said...

Wow, this bridge puts the Bridges in Madison County to shame, but definitely doesn't reach the movie filmed in Madison County. Looks like you made your movie of a covered bridge in Athens, Georgia. I like the pose Charlie. I suppose Leasa made you perform her camera pose. Looks fun.

Allie said...

Leasa! I have been here! My uncle lives near Comer, GA. Hope Athens is treating you well.