Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

School Update #3: NO more coursework!

10 a.m. this morning I met with my PhD Committee (see school update #2) and they gave me their blessing to move to the next step in the PhD process. Woohoo! That means no more coursework, except that one class that has been a thorn in my side--Quantitative Regression. Ick! So, in the fall I will finish up that course and forever be liberated from taking another MANDATORY PhD course. Let me tell you...I am breathing a sigh of relief. I was unsure whether or not my coursework in Oxford would be counted. Good news...it was without any explanation needed! The next step: Comps (the final exams before dissertation research and writing). During the meeting we discussed potential comps questions and the literature I will need to read/study. This is going to be a busy summer as comps are scheduled for August.

What are comps? Each committee member (there are four) writes a question for the comps exam. Comps take place over four consecutive days. I will receive one question/day and have four hours to answer each question, no books, no notes, just my brain, my typing fingers, and a laptop. We discussed the general idea of each question today and I will receive a (LARGE) reading list from each faculty member to help answer the question. The comps questions are specific to my dissertation topic...so most likely I will have one question on the qualitative method, one on theory, one on policy theory, and one on European higher education reform. Very good!

No comments: