Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Little Calm Before the Holiday Hustle & Bustle

Before heading out to Colorado for the annual Weimer Christmas extravaganza, Charlie and I had a quiet weekend escape in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Lake Toxaway, North Carolina. Actually, this was the long awaited celebration of Charlie's PhD graduation. We stayed at the Cabins at Seven Foxes, quaint little cabins tucked away in the forest. During the day we hiked to a waterfall in Gorges State Park where I sprained my ankle (the same ankle that I sprained numerous times during my high school tennis years...argh). (Let's hope the ankle heals quickly, as I have some skiing to do!) At night, we found ourselves sucked into the holiday spirit as we experienced a Scrooge-inspired movie marathon. First, A Christmas Carol (1951), then Scrooge (1970), and finally the Muppets Christmas Carol (1992). On Sunday, we woke up to the greatest gift...5 inches of snow. What a great way to get ready for Colorado. After playing in the snow, we headed back to Athens where Charlie got back to the 8-5 grind and I packed for a 2-week holiday in Colorado.



1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

Looks like a good place to relax and get a good taste in the mouth. Knowing you two you injoyed the isolation and beauty of the place.