Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Garden Plot: Sinking our Fingers into the Earth!


We have signed up for a garden plot hosted by the university student committee. A free garden plot--awesome! I have always wanted to participate in a community garden, why not do it in Finland? The coordinator of the student garden plots gave us a few tips: turn the soil, build beds, and buy top soil and garden fabric. Easy, right?!
Top soil transported by bike!
So, we spent a few evenings in the garden, prepping and turning the (clay like) soil, and raising the beds. It is a great way to spend the evenings and who knows we might actually grow some yummy fruits and veggies to satiate our vegan appetite. I have had to educate myself on gardening and what actually grows in a country with a short growing season (June-August) and long days (19 hours of daylight). Our plan is to plant lettuce, spinach, arugula, dill, mint, basil, beans, peas, and lavender. I will keep you posted on our garden adventure.

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

You two will be quite the farmers. Hope all grows and I know it will give you great satisfaction as the seeds begin to grow.