Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006



Aveiro, Portugal--Ah...sunlight and a different language. Perfect! Make your reservations to visit me in Portugal from August 2007 to December 2007.

Whenever I say "Portugal" everyone's eyes light up.

Aveiro looks very quaint and is said to be the "Portuguese Venice". There are canals and riverways throughout this small village of 50,000. The University student population makes up a fifth of the population. Aveiro is big news to all of you futbol fans...it is home to a first division futbol (soccer) league and they just built a 39million (US) dollar stadium. Watch out mom, I might be bringing home a World Cup hottie that can event row a boat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bom dia amiga!

Put me down for visiting Summer 2007. I don't think I can handle the cold, so Portugal it is!

Love ya, Megan

Anonymous said...

Bom dia amiga!

Put me down for Summer 2007! I don't do well in the cold so I am looking forward to Portugal.

Love ya, Megan

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we can start dreaming now! Fall 2007: London-Scotland-Portugal!

Guess what - I just pulled out my guidebook from Portugal/Spain, and on 9/23/05 I had lunch in Aviero after a morning walk in the Bussaco Forest! We then drove on to Porto(Oporto) and stayed in Villa Real. The next day said "wine loop", Viseu (lunch), Torre, Coimbra.

My handwriting in the margins also noted "Aviero-Portugal's Venice" and notes on towns north of Lisbon added "Oporto-Port Wine Industry (so your Dad will have to go there!), 2nd largest city, Church of Sao Francisco", "Minho-green Northern Province", "Braga/Barcelos-Pottery", "Viano de Castelo-Manor Houses". "Batalha-The Monastary of Santa Maria (Portugal's greatest architectural achievement)", ***And the Caleste Gulbenkian Museum, just north of Lisbon is a must see, my Top3 favorite museums in the world! We also drove down to the small fishing villages near the Lagos area on the Southern tip of Portugal.

I went with my friend Donna for 3 weeks in 1995. We Bused from Spain, drove through Portugal down around to Seville, and trained back to Madrid. The guidebook said Portugal is Europe's most dangerous city to drive in, but I thought it was easy and wonderful! The countryside is gorgeous; cork trees!

Have fun, share your travel tips so we will all know how to plan. I noticed EasyJet.com flies from London (LUT) to Lisbon. I love cheap airfare!

Will miss you tons!!
Karen