

5 Hr. WALK IN THE WOODS x 2...You all know how much I love the great outdoors, the sun and the mountains! So, this weekend was probably one of the best weekends I have spent in Oslo. I discovered that right outside of the city limits there are an ungodly amount of forest trails. The topping on the cake: it was an unseasonably
warm weekend for September (70 degrees).The International Student Office here at the Uni. organizes excu
rsions, movie series and trips for International students. I signed up for the "Walk in the Woods" on Saturday and discovered that the beautiful lake in my backyard (Sognsvann) is just the beginning of an amazing myriad of trails, lakes and cabins. I chose the "adventurous & hard" route and tour guide. It was a beautiful hike and we stopped along the route for some blueberry picking and some mushroom education (see pics). The trail was well marked, m
uddy and rocky...hence the "adventurous" description of this particular route. This trail also serves as a nordic trail in the winter.

A few of my Chinese classmates joined the hike and I met 2 really nice Germans who are here for a 3 month research project in Chemistry. There are many students who come here for a short period to con
duct research. Anyhow, the hike ended about 5.5 kilo's from the bottom of the lake. There is a "serviced hut" at the top where you can purchase snack items and chocolate (chocolate is a BIG snack item here and it's really GOOD!) The trails are like major highways as many Norwegian families bike or walk to picnic at one of the many "serviced huts" on the weekend, especially on nice sunny days. The Norwegians LOVE the outdoors and the SUN...I think it's because there isn't much SUN in the winter. Something to look forward to...
On Sunday, a few of
my classmates and I journeyed to the northern end of Oslo and discovered yet another load of trails. This area is the local ski hill-Tryvann and the views are incredible. It sits a little higher than the ski jump and you can see the entire Oslo fjord. After a few hours of hiking, we found the "serviced hut" and indulged in cinnamon rolls and the typical Norwegian b-fast-waffles with cream & jam. YUMMY!!!
1 comment:
Leasa it sounds like you are having fun, taking in all that you can! You go girl! Had another experience with my cards. E-mail you later. Truely a gift that keeps on giving! :) Jan
Post a Comment