
...Ever since the American's invaded they do. (Oh, that's

not so funny.) But, it

is funny how

many of you...my dear family & friends in the good 'ol USA asked, "So, what do they do in Norway for Thanksgiving?" Well, they work, eat brown cheese and call it a normal day. But when the American's are cooking a 12 pound turkey they celebrate
Thanksgiving! My dear friend, Jessica, a
fulbright from the U.S. hosted Thanksgiving dinner for 25. It was the most cultural Thanksgiving I have ever experienced; the Columbians, Norwegians, Germans and Swedish were licking their chops after eating some bird, stuffing, mashed yam, potatoes and
pumpkin pie. They were all very curious about our holiday tradition and the origin (good thing I studied up on the origins of Thanksgiving...good ol' google!) The wine was flowing, the food was delicious and the com

pany was genuine. It is strange to live in a country where they don't celebrate the special days you cherish so deeply. However, on this evening I found perspective, it is refreshing to share traditions with people who are genuinly interested. Even though I missed my family with intensity yesterday, I still got up and ran the annual
5K Thanksgiving Turkey Trot (without my sister, in the pouring rain, with no-one else on the race course.) I ended the day reflecting on how thankful I was to have this cultural exchange with individuals from around the world.
1 comment:
Wow. 25 people for dinner. That takes quite a large turkey. Many at your table will remember our holiday, I am sure. Knowing Leasa, a time of reflection occurred after the eats.
Post a Comment