Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Monday, July 23, 2007

I Dream of Africa...

The day has finally arrived, tomorrow, when I board the Swiss International flight to Africa. I have dreamt about traveling to Africa ever since I saw the giraffes at the Denver Zoo. It feels quite surreal as I've been too busy unpacking and repacking the past few days, and getting my life organized to think about the fact that I'm actually going to Africa. I am currently reading "A Long Walk to Freedom," Nelson Mandela's auto-biography and it has educated me in a painful and heartfelt manner about the apartheid and the severe oppression of the black South African people. I hope that being there in person will help me better understand the history, the people, and the current situation. In the meantime, I have a bag of electric cords that weighs about 2 lbs./1km that will be making the journey with me.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Wow, what an amazing adventure. I will eagerly await the pictures!