Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Oslo, a bureaucratic nightmare!

So, I flew from Lisbon to Oslo on the 17th-20th for a quick renewal of my Norwegian visa (or what I thought would be a quick visa renewal.) It turned out renewing a visa is more complicated...it takes 3 months from the time you apply to the time you actually can get the visa. You see, living abroad is not always smooth sailing! There are many forms to fill out, many letter's to submit, many passport photos to smile for, many euro's to hand over, and many lines to wait in. Quite honestly, the visa processing can be a pain in the #$@! Oh well, Oslo wasn't a complete lost cause, I turned in my application, hung out with my Oslo buddies, drank expensive pints of beer, ate at my favorite bakery, and I got to see Oslo all lush, green and summery. Plus, it gave me a chance to visualize myself back in expensive Oslo writing my semester in the spring (which is a great possibility.) Honestly, it made me think...why not stay in Portugal??? Hmmm, I guess it all just really depends on my topic, which is yet to be decided.

3 comments:

Jo said...

Stay with me in Portugal, that'll be fun!! I might move to Porto after Christmas though, if I find Aveiro dull... Join me for that too! :)

About Me said...

Yes, you will love Porto, it's hip & happenin'. Ok, about the thesis location...first, I must find a topic. AHHHHH, I never knew it would be this hard but I am happy to say, I'm getting closer to a topic. I really think I will do something on South Africa HE. I'll keep you posted. Cheers

Jo said...

I am lucky not to have to worry about that, I have to do mine in Aveiro or Tampere, and I can choose. And so I have...