Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

An African Safari worth 500 photos...



I went to Kruger National Park with a group of University of Pretoria alumni, as it was partly funded by the office where I was volunteering my time. To say it was incredible...is truly an understatement!!! On the first day we drove into the park and our luck found us right before a LION KILL!!! A huge African buffalo was lying dead as a pack of lions, including little cubs, feasted on the prey. Vultures were dancing around waiting for the remains, with drool dripping on the red earth. We were about one semi-truck away from the kill, uncomfortably TOO close, but I was still hanging my head out of the car shooting pics. It was a great way to start my safari, but it only got better. This park is famous for the BIG 5 (lion, rhino, buffalo, elephant, leopard) and seeing the BIG 5 is the on the agenda everyday. We scored a 4.5 out of 5, as we didn't see the leopard but I wasn't too disappointed because we saw a cheetah instead and there are only 200 in the park. Woohoo! The last day we saw 14 different animals on our morning drive...including a baby hyena (see photo), elephants, giraffes, crocodiles, and a warthog (hakuna matata!) My Nikon got some serious play...as I took 500 photos!

8 comments:

Mama Weimer said...

I'm anxious to see your other photos, also. Sounds like you were up and personal with them. They probably get kind of used to observers. Your sunset picture portrays land that is pretty flat and devoid of much foliage. Is that true or is there some foliage? The animals look VERY large. Some probably grow to be quite old or do they have hunting safaris? Glad you got this experience!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I'm soooooo jealous. Baby animals are the best!

Anonymous said...

So so jealous! Baby animals are the best.

Anonymous said...

Hola amiga-

I finally had a chance to get caught up with your blog this morning. South Africa sounds so amazing. I will have to put it on my list to visit. I'm so glad that you are having a great time, and thank you again for the presents and the card. When you get back to Portugal I wonder if we could find some time to actually talk on the phone and really catch up. Miss ya! Megan (and Chris, Kili, and Hermione)

About Me said...

Yeah the vegetation in Kruger National is quite sparse. It's hot and dry. When we were there it was 40 c/92 f and during the summer months it get's up to 50c. Yikes! However, there are areas of the park that are more lush, specifically close to the river beds and water holes. But, it is quite beautiful and it's the epitome of what I thought it would look like. Love ya...L.

Chef "B" Realla said...

Dude, looks like it's right outta National Geographic... Did you hand-feed any of the lions? African safari... isn't that kinda like a petting zoo? I petted a goat last weekend... looks like we're both living the dream!! ;)

Thanks for the masks!! They're awesome! And looking forward to coming out for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ciao!

About Me said...

Ok Bobby, goats at a petting zoo...PLEASE!! I am now the safari queen-a lion kill, baby elephants, and even a squatting hyena marking his territory and showing a little skin. Woo Woo! Jealous?!!!

African Tour said...

Great photos. Would love to see more!