Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Knysna (pronounced Nice-NA)!








Another stop on the east coast proved to be a cultural experience that I never thought I would find in South Africa. In the Knysna township there lives a rastafarian community, which makes sense since the rastafarian religion roots started in Ethiopia. I took a township tour, guided by a local dude, he invited me into his township home where I met the great grandmother, the wife, and the pig. It was a tiny wooden house with 3 rooms that housed 5 people and he built it with his very own hands. Not many people have the chance (or money) to build their own house, so he was considered "wealthy" by township standards.
I asked if I could use his toilet and he pointed to the forest and laughed,
ok, cool, so I took a squat in the township forest.
We walked up and down the rolling hills and through the forest where wooden shacks were haphazardly built. But, the great discovery in this township was the government aid was present. We met a woman who was beaming with happiness as she showed us where her new governmental house would be built.

2 comments:

Mama Weimer said...

This townships looks a little bit more modern, but the forrest is their toilet--still no where close to modern even in substandard terms. What an experience though!!!!!!

About Me said...

Well mom, you know me...I enjoy a nice squat in the woods.