Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Life's a BEACH!



The east coast of South Africa is nothing less than spectacular. The white sand beaches, green lush mountains, and prime surf spots; makes for a surfer's paradise. I stayed at the Island Vibe Backpackers in Jeffreys Bay, a prime beachfront property, as it overlooks the ocean (see photos). The night I stayed here there was a witch doctor (imagine...white man in 40's, tatoos on the face, with 2 chickens in a box) staying in my dorm (serious!) and a tsunami warning, so many of us hung out in the bar and counted down the big swell with a few spirits. Fortunately, the tsunami never hit Jeffreys Bay (maybe that witch doctor did have special powers.)

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

Wow, it does look inviting. Was it warm there? I'm thinking it is not sun-bathing temperature. Would be a great place to sit and contemplate life though. You have it made, girl!