At the beautiful McCain's ranch in Arizona (1 of 10 of his houses, ranches, condos and lofts) VP candidate, Palin, and her family were sequestered for 3 days to study up for the VP debate Thursday night. The pundits were placing wagers on two scenarios:1.) She would fall flat on her face and we would all laugh...she would remain the laughing stock of the 2008 race. 

OR
2.) She would prove herself as a quick study and play up those orator skills that she showcased at the Republican National Convention.
Ok, as much as I hate to say it...she showed up and didn't trip on her face. She didn't answer the actual questions that were asked of her, but she made love to the camera with her naivety and her
'hockey mom' act. It was clear that she only had about 5 talking points, but she was polished. She was judged on her oratory skills rather than the substance of her words. It is hard for me to understand why the bar has been lowered for her... What do you think??
'hockey mom' act. It was clear that she only had about 5 talking points, but she was polished. She was judged on her oratory skills rather than the substance of her words. It is hard for me to understand why the bar has been lowered for her... What do you think??For the Presidential & VP debates, we went to CINE for the official watch parties, complete with Palin bingo. I love the hype at these watch parties and it gives me hope that there are so
me educated Americans who actually care about WHAT the candidates are saying (granted, none of the platforms will come to fruition, as the next four years are already spoken for as the 'Bush clean up' years). I will be the first to admit I am a skeptic! I am skeptical of the American people, as I don't have faith that they will use their best judgement when voting. Tonight, I have decided to let it all go until election day. I know who I am voting for and my energy is better spent elsewhere...like this take-home statistics exam.
me educated Americans who actually care about WHAT the candidates are saying (granted, none of the platforms will come to fruition, as the next four years are already spoken for as the 'Bush clean up' years). I will be the first to admit I am a skeptic! I am skeptical of the American people, as I don't have faith that they will use their best judgement when voting. Tonight, I have decided to let it all go until election day. I know who I am voting for and my energy is better spent elsewhere...like this take-home statistics exam.
6 comments:
i dont really have much of an interest in US politics but when i read that palin accused obama of associating with terrorists i got very angry! it makes me sick how ignorant and stupid some americans are that they makeup/believe accusations founded on the mans race and name
god bless europe
I just want the days to pass quickly, so we can all vote. Enough of the candidate slams and scandals each party plays on the other. We should all be interested in the policies of each party and how they affect our country. I feel most Americans know how they will vote and have several months ago.
Yes, Palin did mention that Obama had been "palling around" with domestic terrorists. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7653132.stm
This type of rhetoric has "smear campaign/dirty politics" all over it...the republicans are scared to lose control and therefore, they will try just about anything to make Obama look like the bad guy. The good news is that not all Americans are buying the rhetoric, as of now they are a little more concerned with the economy and a "change".
As far as your comment about "how ignorant and stupid some americans are that they makeup/believe accusations founded on the mans race and name", I agree that there are SOME Americans who are naive and racist. However, there are also a good percentage of Americans who are NOT ignorant or racist, the electoral votes are a good indicator of this. For me, I have to focus on the positive...th U.S. has come a long way since the Civil Rights Movement. To have bi-racial man running for president is quite simply amazing! Honestly, I never thought I would see it in my lifetime, as I am quite jaded by the racism that plagues this nation. But, throughout my travels I have also realized that this racism and ignorance is not exclusive to the U.S., it exists everywhere, it just takes different form according to the history, ethnic, and religious make-up.
i agree with you, and of course it isnt just america that has race issues, but for example when we watch programs like top gear whose presenters, as a joke drove though alabama with slogans written on their cars like "man love rules" and "hillary for president"... they're shot at and literally chased by a convoy of armed red necks! so its very hard to see the good side of america when we see and read so much bad stuff
i dont mean to be anti-american but i grow weary of being associated with americans and american policies while im travelling just because im white and speak english
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq-kK7GEb7M (the clip i mentioned if you're wondering what im talking about)
Thanks for the video link. I think this is a good illustration of how non-Americans view the American culture. Believe me, when I lived abroad I experienced plenty of anti-American sentiment, yet I was often confused how many people expressing anti-American sentiment were unable to separate the two issues: the American people vs. the American foreign policy. Here is a post ranting about that experience:
http://leasa.blogspot.com/2007/02/anti-american-sentiment.html
Alabama reminds me of Alaska.... doesn't Palin come from Alaska? Oh yeah, right...so that is why she says the things she does ;-)
That TOP Gear video was brillant! However, a tiny hick-town in the middle of Alabama hardly represents US as a whole. Believe me, I am the last person to defend Americans ;-)
I agree with you Lease, the republicans are getting desperate now, so they are resorting to smear tactics.
For a vast majority of American (and there are lots of them) I truely believe race isn't an issue in this race. Well, at least in the developed State in the USA. That is not to say racisim doesn't exist, but that it is no greater than in any other country in the world and certainly no greater than in Europe.
Post a Comment