Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Gas shortages in Georgia!


The state of Georgia has been experiencing a gas shortage, which makes all of those gas-guzzling American commuters quite upset. Georgia relies on two major pipelines, Colonial and Plantation, in the Gulf of Mexico. Moving at a sluggish pace of 3-5 mph, the gas from the pipeline takes approximately 10 days to arrive from Texas. With the arrival of the tropical storms, Gustav and Ike, the refineries were shut down and are just now slowly returning to running at full capacity. Here in Athens, some of the gas stations were closed or only allowing a $15-30 maximum purchase of gas. Thank goodness I don't depend on gas! When I moved to Athens, I was very intentional about finding a home close to campus. I wanted to walk or ride my bike, as I became accustomed to that lifestyle in Europe and I am now more conscious than ever about the U.S. reliance on oil. I live about a 5 minute walk from the downtown area and about 15 minutes to campus, so everyday I'm commuting by foot. However, I would be a hypocrite if I didn't admit that I do drive my car for errands. My goal is to only fill up my gas tank once/month and I've officially made it through the month of September! Woohoo.

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

Could this gas crisis been avoided by stockpiling tankers of gas? They knew the hurricane was coming. The oil companies are not hurting from the shortage, as they are still getting rich and richer. Again the mainstream pays the price.