.jpg)
As the teaching assistant for the Franklin College Residential sp
ring break trip to Costa Rica, I was responsible for chaperoning a group of 15 undergraduate students. My pay-off: a FREE trip to Cost
a Rica. Not too shabby!Before taking off to Costa Rica I coordinated four class meetings where we discussed Costa Rican current events, learned about the
culture, and even tasted local cuisine prepared by one of our ve
ry own UGA faculty
members who is a Costa Rican native. Once we arrived in Costa Rica...
I was quite surprised by the incredible UGA campus in Monteverde. Yes, UGA owns a "research center" and "eco-lodge" in the lush rain forests of Costa Rica with running hot water and beautifully handcrafted
wooden bungalows. The program directors have worked hard to collaborate with the local community and during our 5-day stay we visited a local coffee farm, enjoyed a cooking class in a local woman's house, in addition to all of the students enjoying a one-night home st
ay with a local family. Our days at the research center were filled with drizzle, mud, wind, a schizophrenic sun, and lots of rainbows. I make it sound so bad, but it was so good...we were literally in the cloud forest where mother nature is in full
-effect. The weather did not stop us, we hiked to a waterfall, took Spanish classes, milked cows, went horseback riding, and swung through
the rain forest likes monkeys on a zip-line. Another brilliant feature of the UGA ecolodge is that it is all inclusive, the meals are prepared by local community members which makes for some delicious gallo pinto (rice and beans), juicy fresh fruit, and a colorful array of food.The last two days of the trip were spent at Playa Grande (big beach). The students took surf lessons while I soaked up the sun, did yoga, and walked the beach. It was quite fabulous! Now, back to the grind...
5 comments:
It sounds like you had a great trip! I am so jealous of your life. By the way, your hair looks cute! : )
You should start an album of your yoga poses in all of the countries you have visited! Looks like a fun time! Love ya girl!
Leas, too bad you are not stationed at the U there in Costa Rica!!!!!! You mentioned to your father that it was beautiful. I'm sure that the students that accompanied you were truly entertained and informed. Pictures really helped others see the wonder of Costa Rica.
Look at the short hair! Like it.
Yep, I cut off all of my curls before flying to Pura Vida. You should have seen the floor after cutting my hair...it looked like a dead poodle. Seriously!
Post a Comment