Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Day After the Snow Storm: CARNAGE!

After 6.5 inches of wet and soggy snow last night, the town of Athens, Georgia shutdown. When I woke up this morning, I was amazed at how bright Athens was...the contrast of white glistening snow and sunny blue skies made for a beautiful day. Many people lost power last night, as trees and power lines--weighed down by heavy snow--came crashing down resulting in candle-lit evenings. I visited friends at the local watering hole, who were without power since 4 p.m. yesterday. They were warming up with the local brew, and charging up their cell phones and computers. This is what I love about snow-days, you have permission to do things that you would normally not be doing on a Monday...like bantering about snowstorm war stories and playing games in the local watering hole. As I walked through the downtown area, I took a few photos of the carnage left behind from the storm. Trees were uprooted, split in half, and cars were stranded everywhere...including the middle of the streets.

Here are a few facebook status updates from friends:
*Cody was loving the snowstorm that we're getting in Athens, until it caused a tree to fall on his brand new car. :( The cab is crushed and the back window...
*Raychel is offering up food, shelter, etc. to anyone still without power in Athens!
*Anthony is hoping his power comes back on soon. But the snow is nice (as is a closed UGA--no midterm tonight!)
*Johanna finds it quite strange to wake up to snow in Athens.
*Stephanie has heat and power, for anyone needing to warm up!

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

No school due to snow!!!!! This must be the highlight to the day. I'm sure the trees were not saying the same thing. The damage to trees and other property are always the result of heavy snow. We need snow badly here is Denver. One tenth of an inch is not enough. DRY!!!!!