Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Living the Oxford Dream!

Ever since I learned about the unique Oxford college residential system, I have dreamt about life in the City of Dreaming Spires. Now I am (somewhat) living the dream! As I stepped off the bus nearly three weeks ago I could smell the pursuit of academic knowledge permeate through the honey-colored buildings and the cobblestone streets. The University of Oxford is one of the oldest European higher education institutions dating back to the 11th century, which makes for many juicy tales. Thank goodness Henry II banished all foreign students from studying at the University of Paris in 1196...otherwise the University of Oxford may not exist today. Many of the ousted students settled in the small town of Oxford and created this educational academy. In 1209, after town-n-gown relations broke down and riots broke out, some scholars fled northeast to the town of Cambridge, where the rival university was created. During this tumultuous time in Oxford, those students and scholars who stayed were the first to bare witness to the beginning of a long-standing Oxford tradition--the residential colleges. Today there are 39 residential colleges, each with their own unique campus and gated residence. Students eat, sleep, and live in the guarded college communities and meet with residential faculty dons on a weekly basis. The UGA program is affiliated with the Trinity College and my faculty don is affiliated with the Green Templeton College, hence I spend a good amount of time at these two colleges. I am not living in the colleges (like a true Oxford student), but I do meet weekly with a faculty don and am surrounded by the beauty of spires, well-manicured gardens, and lively intellectual conversation.

3 comments:

mjanasie said...

Can I consider you my long distance don?

Sam said...

the colleges are a nice feature of oxbridge. clare at cambridge is SO pretty!!!!

does trinity have any weird traditions? my friend told me she will have to do her exams in full academic dress! O.O

Mama Weimer said...

The campus looks beautiful. Can't wait to see it!!!!!!Well, to see you, also. Seems like too long ago that you were here in Colorado. The academics sound like they are very demanding. Those BIG papers just keep on coming!!!!!!! Leasa, looks like you are leaping into everything that is Oxford. Your dream has been reached, now to soak it up and enjoy.