Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Friday, December 11, 2009

A Week in Georgia to Adjust Back to the Motherland

Well, I have bittersweet feelings about being back in Georgia. Sweet, because I got to hang out with my man-friend, Charlie, and eat Ratatouille, watch movies, and just settle back into reality. Bitter, because I am back in Georgia...enough said.

And, of course I have another epic traveling tale that added to the bittersweet arrival. I know, SHOCKER! Originally, I was supposed to fly to Atlanta for a layover and then connect straight through to Colorado, but decided to stay one week in Georgia. I asked the airline if I could extend the stopover in Atlanta or cancel the leg to Colorado and they said it would cost $250. WTF?! Considering that I am parsimonious, I decided not to make changes to the original flight plan and simply jump off in Atlanta, grab my luggage, and forgo the leg to Colorado. However, Delta airlines had other plans for me. After going through customs, due to special security details in Atlanta, they re-collect all luggage...and my luggage had a tag to Colorado. I begged and pleaded with the Delta attendants and they were adamant about the airline "contract" I had bought...no luggage with Colorado tags can be claimed in Atlanta. Awesome, so my two 50-pound bags headed to Colorado without me. Luckily, I have all of my stuff stored in Athens...so, I was not completely "baggage-free". And, my parents were wonderful enough to collect my luggage in Colorado.

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

If you didn't have a problem with your luggage it would not be right. Luggage loss is your destiny. They did reach you with the help of your favorite Dad. Welcome to the USA!!!!!!!!