Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

My New Home...in Athens, Georgia

It's funny to say that this is the first time I have lived alone. But, it is true. My entire life, until now, I have always lived with other people: from my family, to roommates, to boyfriends, to my sister, and even undergraduate UGA students (in Oxford). After about a month of living by myself I have come to LOVE it. I do not need to clean for anyone or clean up after anyone and I can do yoga in my living room at all hours of the day. Plus, I really love the apartment with bright orange paint and funky IKEA closet units. I am living in a residence hall , or as some people call it a "dorm", on campus. This is a special arrangement, as I have a 2-bedroom apartment that is surrounded by 160 undergraduates. I am used to the noise and late night techno music because I experienced this while living in Oxford. However, the additional noise from the steam pipes (screaming and banging at night) has been something I have had to adjust to. But otherwise all is good, especially the location; the on-campus location allows me to walk pretty much everywhere (woohoo!), even to the yoga studio. In exchange for living here, I do have additional responsibilities such as hosting a weekly cookie night and teaching a class which offers opportunities to mix with the students. So, yes...all is good with the living situation!

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

Your place is certainly "funky" with all the bright colors, but maybe that is what makes it so warm and homey. A home is what one makes it, and I am sure you have added those special touches.