As I walked (with an extra kick in my step) to the E12 gate in the Atlanta airport I double checked my flight on the departure screens. Uh-oh, DELAYED! The first leg of my flight to South Africa was delayed by two hours. The chances of me catching my connecting flight in Amsterdam was about as likely as me winning the lottery…with only 10 minutes for me to run like the wind to my connecting gate. So, I proceeded to queue up in the international re-booking line with another 50 people. It turns out that the bad-ass volcano in Iceland spewed more ash, shutting down air passage in France and Spain, hence delaying some trans-Atlantic flights. After two hours in line and a little socializing with fellow disgruntled travelers…I managed to confirm a back-up flight with unexpected routing (an overnight in Amsterdam). The 9-hour flight to Amsterdam included a movie marathon (Precious, Blind Side, and It's Complicated), special vegetarian meals, and two hours of sleep. Unfortunately, we arrived in Amsterdam 25 minutes past my connecting flight. Ah yeah…back in line! At this point I realized that, despite all of my previous travel follies and my seasoned travel skills, I neglected to pack a change of clothes in my carry-on. Oops...now this is what I call cocky and otherwise unprepared traveling! (How many times do I have to make a "note to self": always pack a change of clothes in the carry-on, before I actually do it?!) Another two hours of line surfing and the KLM agent hooks me up with a flight to Cape Town out of London (hooray, no overnight in Amsterdam). With a meal voucher and a 50 euro KLM discount in hand, I proceed to eat a lovely quiche with fruit. Shortl
y after filling my belly, I realize I am in the international microcosm of different languages and cultures that I have come to love. Now this is living! Despite the fact that I still have a long road ahead, the soft music of different accents dance in the air and makes me feel right at home.After touching base with family and the peeps in Cape Town via email, I purchase Swiss and Belgium chocolate at duty free. I hop on the commuter flight to London with many business men in European style business attire (tight pants). Walking the long, cold corridors of Heathrow airport brings me to Terminal 1 where Harrods, Boots, Clarks, and Pret welcome me with some of my favorite British goods. While waiting for my South African airlines flight I spontaneously break into a quick yoga sequence with gawkers all around. Uttanasana never felt so good! The flight is not full (woohoo!) and it ends up I get a half of row to myself for the 12 hour flight. The sweet Afrikaans accent greets me with a posh travel pouch of goodies (socks, eye mask, toothbrush/paste). Dinner is served with a delicious South African Cabernet and a radio station plays African tunes in my ears. Ah yeah…it has finally hit! Traveling shoes on. I am going back to a place that captured my heart with stories of historical hardship and human strength. Damn, life is delicious!
1 comment:
You haven't seen tight pants before you hit Melbourne, believe me! So come here for a fashion peek ;) Unfortunately they put their big wallets and iPhones in their pockets, but tight it is.
Enjoy South Africa!
Post a Comment