Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Minor Post-Race Pain

7 a.m. on Sunday, with tea in one hand and a sign, "Run, Go Charlie" in the other hand...I found myself yelling, "You are almost to the top of the hill. Only 12 more miles. We are the slackers and you runners are the rock-stars." (I would get a few laughs and even some heckling after shouting that one.) Charlie trained for his first half-marathon, Athens, GA's half-marathon. This was not an easy flat road race, if you know Athens at all you know that it is rather hilly (lots of hills). Mile 12 was perhaps the hardest uphill battle (so cruel of race directors). My friend, Sarah, and I cheered him along at the 1, 5, and 11 mile marker and screamed especially loud as we saw him run into the finish line with a crooked smile on his face. Charlie was well trained and experienced minor post-race pain.

No comments: