Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Whole Foods, Plant-Based Diet.


Yep. I am a veggie head, a plant-strong vegan diva, and a whole-grains plant-based adventurer. Officially. So, what does all of this mean?

Ever since my Rubbersoul Yoga Adventure experience and being introduced to a more vegan way of eating, I have decided to shift my diet away from animal protein and dairy to more whole grains and plants. While the Adventure Club introduced the vegan concept and health benefits to me (read The China Study), my own research (check out Engine2Diet, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, and the interview with Bill Clinton) sealed the deal: I am moving to a plant-strong diet! The good news: Charlie proclaimed in early January (the exact date is disputed at this time) that he was interested in joining me on this journey of no meat and dairy. Yea! (Note to reader: NO, I did not hold him down and give him a wet willy or an elbow to the groin before his manifesto to go vegan.)

After a trip to Atlanta to see a special pre-release screening of the movie Forks Over Knives (to be released May 6), we were both sold on the idea, as the movie outlined all of the research we have been following. So, now we are two veggie heads exploring the glorious world of, "crap, I think that has dairy in it" to "my bowel movements are so much more enjoyable" to buying a t-shirt with four large letters scrolled proudly across the shirt--KALE (Charlie made that purchase because he has developed a new love affair with kale). I have to say this lifestyle change has been fun, yet not without challenges, and having Charlie as a partner-in-crime has made it so much easier.

My biggest fear (and a rather large cultural myth) about going without animal protein was the pure lack of protein. Growing up as an athlete I was brainwashed to think that the only thing that would re-build my muscles was animal protein...so I ate lots of animal protein especially when training for the marathons. But, we have learned that plant protein is just as good, if not better, than animal protein. Here are a few examples:
good plant protein: arugula, kale, spinach, etc.,
high-protein grains: quinoa, bulgar, brown rice
legumes: black, white, pinto, chick peas, etc.

Recently, I have been searching out blogs for recipes and stumbled on a few interesting things:
-Did you know that Alicia Silverstone is a veg-head too (and also one of my favorite actresses)? Well, she has a blog dedicated to the book she wrote on "green" living, the Kind Life.
-Oprah just recently presented a week-long show on veganism and encouraged viewers to eat vegan for one week.
-Mark Bittman, a.k.a. "The Minimalist" recipe guru from the NY times has decided to give up his column after 13 years, so he could dedicate his time to focus on advocating for a healthier way of eating: more veggies, more grains, and more legumes.

There is something going on here...a movement of sorts and who knows where it will take us...maybe it will bring back some of the local farmers and rid the American culture of processed and genetically-modified food.

2 comments:

Mama Weimer said...

Veggie head, Leasa!!! You were going in this direction for quite some time. I had planned on buying you that book at Christmas but forgot about it. You probably beat me to it. That fruit cookie recipe is from Alicia's book. They are delicious.

About Me said...

Yeah, you are right I have been moving away from meat for quite some time (the nasty consistency is just gross). But, shifting away from dairy is new for me and I have discovered dairy is in so many prepared foods! Nonetheless, it is all a process and we are giving ourselves a little wiggle room, no more than 5-10% (dairy/meat)a week. That is doable. While there are some ethics behind our decision, mostly we are doing it for health reasons...read the research. I do not have Alicia's book yet, but she has some recipes posted on her blog.