Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Lucca, Italy: Home of Puccini & Tuscan Food Ecstacy!

A 20-minute train through the Tuscan countryside brought us to the famous city and commune of Lucca; a quaint city known for the Renaissance wall that still encircles the old city center. Charlie and I stayed at the sweetest little bed and breakfast right in the center of town: Al Tuscany, with a host who totally hooked us up with information on where to eat (like a local). I have one word for Lucca: delicious! Seriously, we ate the best meals here...or at least I think so: farinata (cornmeal porridge), zuppa di farro (spelt and bean soup), cannelloni, a savory pumpkin crostata (tart) yummy-ness, tiramisu, and torta di fichi e noci (fig and walnut tart). We went to two restaurants where we ate typical Lucchese cuisine: Trattoria da Leo and Trattoria da Giulio (both highly recommended). It is funny that all I can talk about is the food! Well, considering that we are back in Finland now and I am faced with very limited restaurant options...it is no wonder I am obsessed with the great cuisine in Italy.

 In addition to eating, we relished in good conversation as we walked around the city wall and even climbed the Tower, Torre Guinigi, (all 230 steps) for an incredible panoramic view of Tuscany. After dinner, Julie and Dan went back to Pisa (where they stayed the whole week) and we nestled into our cozy little B&B. Tomorrow: Charlie & I travel to Siena (2 hours and 40 minutes on the train from Lucca).

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

Loved seeing the slideshow. You are a great photographer. So glad you could spent a fantastic week with your Sis and Dan. I know they enjoyed every minute of it. Dan is ready to go again.