Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

ROUNDTRIP FLIGHT TO ITALY-$34!!! Serious! RyanAir is this cheap, no-frills airline that flys to various European cities. My dad & sister are visiting me October 13-21 and we will spend 5 days in Cinque Terre, Italy. How cool is that? But before I get too excited, I need to put my nose in the book or rather laptop, as I have my second paper due Monday. I am writing on the internationalization of higher education in the U.S. It is quite interesting and a little disappointing because the more I research, the more I realize America is beginning to lag behind in terms of being the "leader" in international education. Europe is on top of their game! There is a huge effort right now, the Bologna Process, to open the European higher education area to make mobility and access easier.

Photos: More photos from Lofoten Islands, Norway!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Europe is so lucky, I wish we had Ryan Air here. Your pics are so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Funny you talk about the Bologna Process....I attended a conference on this along with a few of your classmates last week...it was utter rhetoric to me...so bored that I left early. If we're talking about just higher ed in genreal (not internationalization specifically), I would say Europe is far far behind USA. To the Europeans who think Bologna can make them as competitive as Ivy Leagues...good luck!

I want to go to cinque terre! an American friend of mine was there this summer. I was in Rome but not CT.

jules luvs lattes said...

CU has been sending Hank into black and hispanic churches to try to entice minorities to apply and diversify the campus...hope he gets more than a religious experience.

About Me said...

Jules...welcome to america! It's about time one of the good ol' boys of Higher Education get's to experience the "real world"...not sure it will help, but it looks good in the newspapers. Ha, ha! What's next...CU Football is sucking wind and now Hank Brown is becoming an admissions counselor? See what happens when I leave...
Ha!