Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

My favorite Norwegian city!



Here I am in Bergen, Norway. I truly love it here...even with the rain and the wind (it was so windy...it tore apart my umbrella). Couple a scenic port with a mountain backdrop (seven hills) and you get the second largest, yet quaintest, city in Norway. There are just a few things that make this my favorite and special Norwegian city...the colorful architecture, the hostel, the euro cafe culture (Godt Brod-my favorite!) and the norwegian feel. Bryggen, the old city from the 11th century, is on UNESCO's world heritage list and you never get tired of winding around and taking photos of the colorful, preserved wooden buildings. I walked the entire city, without an umbrella, and discovered the area by the University which is so cute...little cafe's, a beautiful church, (JohannesKirken) and narrow cobble stone streets surrounded by the bright clapboard houses. Bergen is the gateway to the fjords and tonight I hop on the hurtigruten and head out into the fjords...I won't see much of the fjord tonight but I will see a good deal of my paper that is due December 8. Woohoo...this IS my life!! Pinch me...

1 comment:

bnsweimer@gmail said...

Another city, another experience. I can see your itinerary is full. It's been quite the first semester. I wonder what will happen the next semester.