
I have been patiently awaiting news from South Africa. All I have to say is: Woohoo! So, before I share the excellent news with you, let me rewind back to February. I blasted out about 100 e-mails (not kidding) to random people that I found on the internet and listserves that I subscribe to, to inquire about internships, volunteer work and/or summer jobs in Europe, Latin America and Africa. (I was determined to land some sort of international summer experience!) One of the random e-mails ended up being a priceless push of the *SEND* button. The magnanimous woman that responded to me runs a U.S. study abroad program that places undergraduate students in internships around the world (for a large fee), so she is well connected around the globe. She decided to take me on as a goodwill case (because we are in the same career field--collegiality as it's best) and sent me contact information for her South African friend. After a few e-mails, sending my resume, and discovering that fellow Coloradans live in South Africa (yes, there ended up being a Colorado connection), I received an e-mail, "S. Africa Internship Confirmed." WHOA! I read the subject line about 4 times before it finally registered, I'm going to South Africa. Now I'm packing my bags in July for an internship at the University of Pretoria in the Institutional Development office. I will coordinate special events for Alumni and travel to regional events (similar to my position at CU-Boulder). It will be quite an experience to work in alumni relations from an African context. Moral of the story: keep pressing the SEND button until someone responds!
8 comments:
Congratulations! That's an encouragement for me, wanting to work abroad for some years before heading back to Oslo... Hope you'll have an amazing time, and loads of stories to tell in September ;)
Congrats Leasa! That is wonderful news! I can't wait to experience South Africa through your blog. I have LOVED all the pictures and wonderful commentary about all of your amazing adventures. I think the posting "Shrinkage" is still our favorite - too funny!
Happy days Leasa! Watching your blog is ALL kinds of fun!! Congratulations sweetie!!
xoxoxo,
Jill (Jackson)
Kick ass girl, so glad to continue hearing of all your success's!!!
Ben
WOO HOO!!! That is awesome. You are really turning this whole Erasmus time into a great experience. I am so happy for you!
Hi Leasa,
Great news and well done!
Your example shows that taking initiative and being pro-active really pays off! Guys, watch and learn...
Romulo
Fantastic news Leasa!!!
Amazing! Congrats! Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for you. Africa, wow! There's a good book called Power Lines by Jason Carter about his years in the peace corps in South Africa, because I'm sure you don't have enough to do already. Have a great time!
Post a Comment