My sojourn days are over and now it's back to the books. Long are the days of being a free spirited traveler flying by the seats of my pants, now it's time to buckle down and get serious! (Someone please wake me up from this nightmare.) In January, my cohort class of 17 will split apart and begin wri
ting our master's thesis in different places around the globe which will be the cessation of this 2-year European fairytale. Therefore, I have had some major decisions to make about my future (after a considerable amount of soul-searching.)
Top 5 BIG decisions:
(number 5 is the best...)1.) I want to stay in Portugal to write my thesis (ah-ha moment!) About 3 months ago I wanted to go back to Oslo, but after really thinking about it...there is too much bureaucratic stress there, and it costs an arm and leg to live there. Plus, this quaint town of Aveiro is the epitome of a European city; there are cozy cafes on every corner, cheap wine in the supermercado, the language is manageable (Portuguese is similiar to Spanish), there is a hip, student vibe to life, and it's easy to travel from here. And you know me...if I want something, I go after it. So, that is just what I did...I researched the professors at the University of Aveiro & Porto and wrote to one them who was well-published and an expert in my topic area. Early this week I got word that he was interested in serving as my advisor. WOOHOO! So, I'm staying in Portugal.
2.) I finally have a REAL thesis topic! I won't be writing on the theoretic underpinning of airplane food in Europe, I will write my thesis on the Internationalization of South African Higher Education. The U.S. system of higher education is saturated wit
h research, therefore I have chosen to investigate a higher education system that has just opened to the international community in the last 13 years (since apartheid was abolished.)
3.) I am applying for PhD programs (in the U.S.) As much as this makes me lugub
rious-with the thought of leaving my European lifestyle, it is the best place for me to puruse a PhD (according to my pro/con list...not my heart).
2.) I finally have a REAL thesis topic! I won't be writing on the theoretic underpinning of airplane food in Europe, I will write my thesis on the Internationalization of South African Higher Education. The U.S. system of higher education is saturated wit
h research, therefore I have chosen to investigate a higher education system that has just opened to the international community in the last 13 years (since apartheid was abolished.)3.) I am applying for PhD programs (in the U.S.) As much as this makes me lugub
rious-with the thought of leaving my European lifestyle, it is the best place for me to puruse a PhD (according to my pro/con list...not my heart). 4.) I will not be going home to Colorado for Christmas. (Tear)
5.) I really love the travel channel and am looking for a way to just trash all of these future plans and work as a travel show personality. Does anyone have connections??
Here are some photos of Aveiro, where I will settle in until July 2008.
4 comments:
Sounds like you are set to gain that Masters degree, of course, not without a lot of work to get there. I know you will produce a paper that not only has lots of information, but also, lots of your heart. Your aspirations are remarkable. I've wondered about that travel agent thought. As much as you like to travel, you could fulfill your dreams in one package. Good luck on your inspirations.
Hey Leasa
It's good to hear about your big decisions. At the ACUI Regionals, tons of people asked how you were doing and what your plans were for after school this year. I hope I can get to Portugal before you leave. It looks like a wonderful vacation place. Oh, this weekend we heard a speaker that I think you would have really liked www.seanswarner.com A fellow traveler like you. We talked for awhile and he was happy to learn about the cat named Kilimanjaro.
By the way, Kili is sitting here on my lap as I write this. Miss ya, Meg
No mom...not a travel agent, a travel personality. Can't you see a big camera and microphone capturing my analysis of European airplane food and pub crawls in Brussels, followed by a Belgium waffle eating hangover? It's a brilliant idea, forget writing the thesis!
Congrats Meg! (Kili give Meg a lick for me!)
Post a Comment