First, "my" (this possession will become important later) Colorado Rockies baseball team are going to the World Series. By the way, why do they call it a World Series...it's not a world series, it's a U.S. seri
es? (Just one more reason to perceive the American's as arrogant.) Anyway...I digress, I have been to many Rockies games and sang during the 7th inning stretch ("take me out to the ball game..."), watched other people devour foot-long hotdogs with sauerkraut, mustard, ketshup and onions, cheered my friends on as they ate rocky mountain oysters (Shannel & Renaud). As you can tell, the socializing in the stands usually took precedence over the banausic 3 hour
game of American baseball. Wait a minute, the Rockies don't suck anymore, and I can jump on the bandwagon of faithful (fair-weather) fans. Woohoo, GO ROCKIES!!
Photos: The Colorado Rockies home field & Schanell (my cousin) & Renaud (Mr. Aussie triathlete) trying Rocky Mountain Oysters, yum!
es? (Just one more reason to perceive the American's as arrogant.) Anyway...I digress, I have been to many Rockies games and sang during the 7th inning stretch ("take me out to the ball game..."), watched other people devour foot-long hotdogs with sauerkraut, mustard, ketshup and onions, cheered my friends on as they ate rocky mountain oysters (Shannel & Renaud). As you can tell, the socializing in the stands usually took precedence over the banausic 3 hour
game of American baseball. Wait a minute, the Rockies don't suck anymore, and I can jump on the bandwagon of faithful (fair-weather) fans. Woohoo, GO ROCKIES!!Photos: The Colorado Rockies home field & Schanell (my cousin) & Renaud (Mr. Aussie triathlete) trying Rocky Mountain Oysters, yum!
Second, the Rugby World Cup Final was HOT and the South Africa
n Springboks won! I have no idea how to play rugby or why the men are stocky and have cauliflower ears...but it's a South African team baby and Mandela even wished them well. These wins are important for the pride and politics in South Africa as it brings people of all colors together, and this is needed in a country that has a history of division. Woohoo, CONGRATS SPRINGBOKS!
n Springboks won! I have no idea how to play rugby or why the men are stocky and have cauliflower ears...but it's a South African team baby and Mandela even wished them well. These wins are important for the pride and politics in South Africa as it brings people of all colors together, and this is needed in a country that has a history of division. Woohoo, CONGRATS SPRINGBOKS! Photo: All colors came out to celebrate the Springboks win.
And finally onto more somber news...Pakistan's exiled Prime Minister went back to her home country to negotiate a power-sharing arrangement this week. This is huge because... many "non-believers" want her head on a plate, she is the first women PM in Pakistan, and she is one brave mama. Having friends from Pakistan and India makes this news even more interesting, as I learned about the scandalous government from my friend Adnan. Personally, I think she is crazy but she is a woman with a mission. You go girl! Photo: Former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
And finally onto more somber news...Pakistan's exiled Prime Minister went back to her home country to negotiate a power-sharing arrangement this week. This is huge because... many "non-believers" want her head on a plate, she is the first women PM in Pakistan, and she is one brave mama. Having friends from Pakistan and India makes this news even more interesting, as I learned about the scandalous government from my friend Adnan. Personally, I think she is crazy but she is a woman with a mission. You go girl! Photo: Former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
8 comments:
Very nice. And yes, life's good when you have a team in any championship series. And what's wrong with cauliflower ear? Makes eating broccoli with one of those guys that much more appealing!
Little kid bro, since you are my smart brother...I was hoping you would find some rationale of why they call it the WORLD series??? And, why weren't you eating the Rocky Mountain oysters with S & R?? Chicken!!!
Well, actually the title "World Series" is somewhat accurate, at least when it was declared that years ago. Being the only country that played baseball, whatever team won was truly the champion of the baseball world. Being as we are a diverse nation, and were then as well, baseball was embraced by so many different cultures and nations as represented by the immigrants who had come to the U.S. As such, when the structure for a playoff and champion bracket was devised, the winner was in essence champion of all baseball across the world. As time has moved on, of course this has changed, but not the tradition, or the name. It's not so much the U.S. being cocky as baseball being homogenous in its conception. Hope that helps!!
And I did eat some of the Oysters you dork! You just didn't document that particular moment with the camera. I don't see you eating any! ;)
Beautiful, I knew you would have an answer.
Hey you. I was wondering how you were the other day!
I am good. working too much though.. and training a bit along the way.
Man, that was a funny day.. I can't believe you tricked me into eating bulls balls.
And i agree about the world series. It's a bit of a wank.. I nearly spat my cereal out when i saw the rockies were in the world series..
Im thinking of coming back to Boulder next year.. You going to be home???
See ya :) renaud
haha! I know exactly what you mean about the baseball! Every time we go to a game my main concerns are:
-Do they offer Cheerleader Beer aka Bacardi Ice or something of the sort?
-Is there kettle corn?
-How much cotton candy can I eat before I get the shakes?
Leasa, I believe it is called the "World Series" because it was, back in the day, sponsored by a newspaper called "The World". So in reality it is no differet from being called the "Coca Cola McDonalds Sony Series", but unfortunately it looks arogant because of the name of the newspaper. I'll check this out though.
Good work Greg! Let me know what you discover from your investigation. I love that an Aussie knows more about the rationale behind the "World Series" name than I do. Hmmmm!
Post a Comment