Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Monday, October 01, 2007

Reflections on South Africa

Sanibonani (Hello...in Zulu)!

I am a globetrotting aficionado because it not only feeds my thirst for adventure, but it warrants me the fortuity to experience unique cultures, diverse ways of living, thinking, and existing on this planet. Many people said South Africa would get into my blood...but I never thought it would have the impact that it did on my heart and my mind. Let me be honest, I didn't know much about the South African history before I arrived (stereotypical American), but I never thought my 2 months of "South African schooling" would be so intense and often times overwhelming.

The "school" was unlike any typical classroom situation, as my teachers were the friends I met everyday through the University of Pretoria and my travels. Through their personal stories, perspectives, and realities I became the student, absorbed by the search for knowledge about apartheid and today's truth (as much as you can discern everyday truth!)
As Oprah would say, "What I know for sure..."

I have come to honor Mandela for his forgiveness, leadership, and his eternal belief that South Africa can be a rainbow nation. I discovered that my independent nature was stifled in South Africa, as I couldn't be out alone after 6 p.m., yet the time at home at night (without a TV, radio or internet) become my sacred time for yoga, reflection of the day's lessons, and further studies. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the country; untouched coastline, rolling hills, drylands, lush mountains, vineyards, sugar cane fields, african sunsets, and the ocean. I have been shocked and bewildered by the magnitude of poverty and violent crime. I learned that higher education in South Africa is transforming as traditionally black and white institutions are merging and integrating the races. I quickly learned to walk fast, NOT look like a tourist, be swallowed by my own fear, and distribute my money in my money belt with an extra stash in my pocket in case I am robbed (which never happened...thank goodness!) I have discovered that a 12-seater mini-van can easily turn into a 23-seater, an open lap is an open seat. I discovered that rooibos tea, biltong (beef jerky), and bunny chow (yummy!) are plentiful in South Africa and I was satiated by them. I have made an effort to understand the human spirit and realities of the black townships, yet I feel like I would need at least a few years fully immersed in that culture to truly understand it. My mind and heart have opened to the beauty and boundaries of interracial relationships. The personal stories of triumph and sacrifice will continue to live in my heart and mind. Viva South Africa!

I thank all of you who have opened your world to me and shared your culture with me. You have all touched my heart and mind and I have enjoyed your kindness and company...Peter, Heather, Dawn, Ninette, Linda, Helen, Edwin, Palesa, Wendy, Lungi, Robert, and Eva.

Salani kahle (Go Well...in Zulu)!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice feet!

the.kim.peterson said...

Amazing. Your photos are great! Your adventure is great! You've reignited my desire to go to South Africa.

Mama Weimer said...

Those "big" feet have journeyed long and hard, but still look capable of covering many more miles. Your journey continues. Where will it take you next? Knowing about the places you travel makes the trip so much more interesting. I'm glad you do that, as I'm not one to do that.

I was reviewing your last entry and noticed how beautiful the ocean scenery picture was. Did you take that with your little camera? What a photographer!!!!!

About Me said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know, big feet! But, big feet, big heart! Mom...I took all the South African photos with my BIG camera (Nikon D40). I am now one of those tourists who walk around with a big camera and shoot everything in sight. Awesome!!! I do love photography and hope to do something with all of these amazing photos someday.

Mama Weimer said...

How about write a book of your experiences, of course, includiing the pictures!