Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Word of the Year....(drum roll, please)!

According to Merriam Webster Dictionary, the English word of 2007 is...

wOOt! (interjection)

Definition: expressing joy (it could be after a triumph, or for no reason at all); similar in use to the word "yay".

So, the next time you step in dog poo and wipe it off in the grass, you can exclaim, "w00t!" Ok, I'm not too sure how joyful you will be, but you get the point. I normally prefer to use "Woohoo," but I think w00t will be my new exclamation because it's shorter, and sometimes it sounds like you are saying, "What" with an British accent, so posh! Today, was the perfect opportunity to use my new expression, as I finally landed on my thesis methodology. w00t! (By the way, you are supposed to type it with 2 zero's!)

The word 'w00t' is actually a derivative from the l33t internet-based language that is widely used by gamers, hackers, and otherwise computer-literate individuals who spend their waking hours devising new languages on the internet with the use of the keyboard and their brain juice.

This w00t is maybe not so appropriate for the professional, the over 50 crowd, or for those traveling outside english speaking countries (as it may have other meanings).
Photos: From a winter wonderland of a day in Oslo a few weeks ago.

2 comments:

bnsweimer@gmail said...

I don't see the "snow fairy" in any of these pictures. Looks like paople do love what little snow Oslo gets. One can snowshoe and iceskate, but not much skiing.

Anonymous said...

Leasa,
I love that picture with the trees lining the pathway, road ? Your blog is very interesting, glad you enjoyed Paris. That is a permissible break from school !!
Take care,
Donna