Message sent - 8/26/2008
Tornado Warning
This is an important emergency announcement from the University of Georgia emergency alert system. The National Weather Service has issued a tornado warning for Athens-Clarke County until ______ o'clock. A tornado warning means that a tornado has been sighted or indicated on radar in Athens-Clarke County. Seek shelter indoors immediately. Proceed to the lowest level of the building. Stay off phones to enable you to recieve additional emergency instructions. This is not a drill. Tornado warning for Athens-Clarke County.
Oops, they forgot to add a time and yes, they spelled "receive" incorrectly!

This is the email I found in my inbox after all 16 of us PhD students hunkered together in the basement of our building as the loud sirens hailed and the storm clouds swirled above. Our professor, Dr. Sheila Slaughter, didn't let the tornado warning stop class...she gathered us together in a small, cramped hallway as we discussed Karl Marx theories. I felt like Marx was laughing in his grave as we were scrunched together without the material luxury of ergonomic chairs and a high-tech classroom, yet the Coca-Cola machine (I should get an endorsement for this) was the only reminder needed, yes...we do live in a capitalist country! Luckily, the wrath of Marx didn't revolt and the tornado spiral missed us by 5 miles...the only thing left spinning was my head.
"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his
needs."
2 comments:
Cleverly written!!! So Karl is messing with your head. I could think of other topics to befuddle mine. So no tornado disrutping your education. That is good. I saw the weather alert in your area which was setoff from Florida's recent hurricane. Sounds like another one is headed into the Gulf.
Yeah, Marx will make you think about the alternatives of capitalism...which is quite a profound thought. Is capitalism really all it is made out to be here in the U.S.?
Post a Comment