My week started with 3 days of orientation at the University of Georgia Campus Life department where I am the Doct
oral Intern for the Center for Student Organizations. This is all part of the "free tuition" PhD deal. I work in a University department, gain practical skills in the field, and in return I receive a monthly stipend and a tuition waiver. It is a sweet deal, albeit not as "delicious" as the Erasmus Mundus scholarship I received in Europe. However, I'm fairly psyched about my jobs and the whole set-up. For 13 hours/week I work in Campus Life (allowing me to get back to my student affairs roots) and 7 hours/week I am a research assistant for Dr. Sheila Sla
ughter (which I'm quite honored to have the opportunity to work with her). It should make for a nice balance of student contact and research.The Campus Life orientation was incredible! The first day I arrived, I was given more schwag (promotional items) than I ever thought possible...4 shirts, an umbrella, a football chair, pins, name tags, tow
el, lunch bag, backpack, and more (see pic). Everyday, during orientation, I was well fed and I even got to try real southern grits. Ok, it wasn't only the schwag and food that made me feel at home...it was the friendly people, thorough training, student-centered approach, and the silly nature of Student Affairs folks. I missed all of this when I was in Europe! However, I do have a new lens from my experience on the "outside" (academia) and can understand how Student Affairs is viewed as "fluff". I officially start working in these capacities next week!
el, lunch bag, backpack, and more (see pic). Everyday, during orientation, I was well fed and I even got to try real southern grits. Ok, it wasn't only the schwag and food that made me feel at home...it was the friendly people, thorough training, student-centered approach, and the silly nature of Student Affairs folks. I missed all of this when I was in Europe! However, I do have a new lens from my experience on the "outside" (academia) and can understand how Student Affairs is viewed as "fluff". I officially start working in these capacities next week!
5 comments:
There was a write-up about the Bulldawgs and their football team. Sounds like they have a great team. So you are a part of this and with lots to keep you busy. You do realize that you will have lots of studying to do. Wow!!! Take the perks and run with this new experience or journey.
Wow I am really impressed, you are going to be working with Sheila Slaughter! I loved her book on Academic Capitalism, which I used as the theoretical backbone to my master thesis. You don't get much better than her. How exciting!!!
Hi you
Great to hear from you! Don't you dare stop blogging! I just love following your life - ans I'm sure many others do too. So don't worry about being "boring" we each have our own boringnessness to deal with - so yours remain interesting :-)
Linda
South Africa
Leasa,
I’m only sending this note to you because, for some reason, this morning coming to work I thought of you. Now that I can see that you’re making all these animal connections (buffaloes, dawgs) I’m still envious. As a matter of fact, I believe that most of us who “knew you when” are envious. It’s good to hear from you and about your travels (still). Of course we begin officially in the fall term next week, but the prelude has been at least overwhelming this summer.
Be well. Stay in tact. Stay in touch and most of all, stay in that zone that you have found with academia, travel and wine.
Fondly,
George
Hi,Leasa. Good to see that you are working with a prominent scholar. At first I thought she wast the author of Winnie and Pooh, just kidding. Cheers
Post a Comment