realized we might miss our train to the Italian Alps. Oh no! So, I decided to run ahead of Charlie and purchase our tickets at one of the fast-serve ticket machines. He thought I had gone to the ticket office, so with two train tickets in hand I frantically ran around the train station trying to locate my partner-in-crime. With one minute to spare we miracously met on the train platform and launched our bodies and luggage onto the train, sweaty and out-of-breathe. "We made it!" After a good laugh and a few high fives we were on our way to the sweet valley town of Bolzano. In Bolzano, the gateway to the Italian Alps, we had a quick hour layover before jumping on a bus. We found a park bench and feasted on the cheese and meat left-over’s from the opera.The bus ride into the Dolomites was incredible! The rugged mountain landscape was enough to propel me into a state of mountain euphoria...a sense of calm set in while the perma-grin prominently displayed my excitement. The bus made its way up and down switchbacks, as we kept "oooing" and "awwwing." We had a quick stopover in a German-inspired mountain town, Ortisei, where we lavished our palette with strudel and vanilla gelato. Oh yeah...there are benefits of being so close to the German border (strudel), yet traveling in Italy (gelato). YUM!

After another scenic bus ride we arrived at our destination, Corvara. This famous ski town is nestled between two mountain passes, the Passo Gardena and Passo Campolongo, and you can only imagine the 360 mountain backdrop. We stayed in the cute Valbona pension, ate pizza, and tried out the bidet.

After another scenic bus ride we arrived at our destination, Corvara. This famous ski town is nestled between two mountain passes, the Passo Gardena and Passo Campolongo, and you can only imagine the 360 mountain backdrop. We stayed in the cute Valbona pension, ate pizza, and tried out the bidet.
1 comment:
I can see why you loved this area. You love the mountains and it reminds you of skiing. Your experience at the train station reminds me of my experience at a train station. Your dad jumps off the train to run back to the station to make sure we were on the right train. As I waited for him I panicked and finally jumped off the train because I didn't want to leave the station alone. The station master was yelling at me to get back on the train as it was ready to pull out. Well, your dad came running back just in time for us to jump back on the train. I don't think I laughed much about it. Great you had a traveling partner and could enjoy the wonders of the place with someone else.
Post a Comment