Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Parasites Partying in my Colon!

*Beware the following blog entry is a little rogue...but this is my life and I feel compelled to educate/share with you all on some of the joys/misery of international travel. (Or perhaps you have experienced something similar...as I know many of you have traveled to faraway places where the bugs in the water source do not settle in our Western bellies.) *

Fred (and friends) are back (remember him from my trip to Morocco?) This time around he is back with a vengeance and his identity has been revealed: Blastocystis! (Blastocystis hominis a.k.a. B. hominis are anaerobic protozoan parasites frequently found in the human gastrointestinal tract.) Yep, after four trips to the health clinic, stool samples, and blood work, my Doc officially confirmed that these cheeky little bastards are dancing the night away in my colon. No wonder I have been spending a lot of time on the toilet, listening to a thunderstorm in my intestines, and at times doubled over by pain. The Doc thinks they must have hitched a ride in my colon when I was in Costa Rica three weeks ago...damn illegal immi-cites. According to the lab report I have 'moderate' levels of these little bandits taking shots of my poo and treating my colon as if it was a after-hours night club. I had to wait one day to receive the meds, as this medicine is so expensive and rarely prescribed that pharmacies do not have it in stock, it was special ordered. Now I will begin treatment and hope that I am one of the lucky few when treatment (antibiotics) actually works to ward off these aggressive dudes. If treatment does not work my doctor advises me that I will "have to ride it out". I am feeling hopeful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Leasa Weimer,

This is a friendly follow-up to our first message to you (May 2010), to warmly invite you again to list your blog on our Expat Women Blog Directory (http://www.expatwomen.com/expatblog/). Blogs like yours are excellent sources of information for relocating expats, so we would love to include it with our other 1,700+ self-listed blogs.

We are also excited to let you know that we just re-launched our main website (http://www.expatwomen.com/), so please drop by and have a look if you are interested.

Many, many thanks and wishing you success abroad!

Jessica Perez for ExpatWomen.com

Mama Weimer said...

I'm sure other people can identify with your experience. I am glad you are beginning to feel better.