Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Good-bye Global L.E.A.D. & Cape Town & North Face

The end is near...last night was the final dinner (see candid and action photos below) and the first flight of students leave today.

I am not sure when I will be back in Cape Town; I suppose that is why I am feeling nostalgic as I write this “Goodbye Cape Town” blog entry. This is my third trip to Cape Town, as I lived in Pretoria in 2007, last year I was here with Global LEAD and back again this year. Every time I visit I am amazed by how much I learn about myself and South African history; every visit is rather intense. Of course the Global LEAD (which stands for Leadership, Education, Adventure, and Diplomacy) curriculum facilitates the historical and personal edification, especially when I find myself teaching how to write a personal vision statement, leading discussions on District Six, being a mindful traveler, and the components of service-learning. This year was just as intense as previous visits especially this past week as I have been sick with a terrible cough and my North Face fleece went missing as I left it at the final dinner. Yes, while the sickness and missing fleece added to the intensity, both are disposable. Education and introspection is not! Thomas Wolfe said, “You can’t go home again.” What did he mean by this? Well, after an international experience you evolve into a more globally conscious person and home becomes different than when you left it. This is exactly why I have a hunger for more international experiences…and the next big one will be in Finland with my superboyfriend-Charlie. Until then, I am headed to Europe for a short adventure in the Netherlands, Budapest, and Brussels.

Goodbye, Cape Town…

1 comment:

Mama Weimer said...

Cape Town has left you with much love and emotion. Every visit bringing new experiences and the teaching of new students. Im sure you have left them with new values and ideas.