Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hello Haarlem, Netherlands!

Ah, what a nice relief to physically be in the Netherlands! I never thought I would get out of Africa. Despite the tiredness setting in, after waiting for my LOST luggage for three hours, I finally decided to leave the Amsterdam airport with only my carry on luggage and a complimentary KLM toiletry kit. I boarded the Zuidtangent bus, paid four Euro, and was on my way to the sweet little town of Haarlem. Known as the "little Amsterdam" this city of 150,000 people is about 15 minutes away from Amsterdam. It is the epitome of a quaint European town with a large square, called Grote Markt (Great Market), where 10 streets converge. Little cafes and outdoor seating makes the square come to life and the 16th century Grote Kerk (Great Church) serves as a spectacular backdrop. The Hotel Carillon, where I stayed, is right smack in the middle of the square. A few blocks away from the square you find yourself walking by canals and colorful Dutch architecture, and yes...even a red light district two blocks away from the square.

Once I arrived in Haarlem, I made my way to the square (about 3 blocks from the bus stop). At this point, I was pretty happy that KLM had lost my 50 pound roller because that meant I only had my small carry-on roller to pull over the cobblestone street. Hotel Carillon was such a welcoming site...I remember myself saying, "Ah, Europe!" I climbed the narrow steps and entered my small, but comfortable room. The room looked out over the square (see photo to left)...heaven! The one thing I love about European hotels is the breakfast (that is included in the room price)...and this breakfast did not disappoint--muesli, yogurt, fresh bread, jams, Nutella, peanut butter, even sprinkles (for your toast), juice, tea, and fruit.

Unfortunately, the illness I picked up in Cape Town still plagued me, so the hotel staff was kind enough to hook me up with a Doctors appointment. It is always interesting going to a Doctor in a different country. I made quite an entrance as I buzzed what looked like an apartment door. No one answered, so I buzzed again. The Doctor came running to the door (I could hear her footsteps) and opened the door and instructed me that the note (written in Dutch) said that the door was unlocked. Oops. I waited in the reception area and not 5 minutes later she asked me into her office...which was more like a living room with a cot and medical supplies. Her window looked out to the canal (not a bad view for a Doctor's office). She asked about my symptoms (sore throat, achy ears, a bad cough) and continued to check my temperature, throat, ears, and lungs. Then, she said..."I am sorry I can only give you codeine for your cough because it seems your illness is viral and not bacterial." Ugh! All I wanted was some antibiotics to knock this out...and I rarely get to a point when I actually say that (normally I try to go homeopathic first). Off to Budapest...

4 comments:

Mama Weimer said...

It was great talking to you. Hope you are feeling better by now. When traveling it is not fun to not feel good. There is too much to experience.

About Me said...

Still working on kicking the illness. The sore throat does not want to go away. It has now been almost two weeks of sore throat, coughing, congestion. Hmmm...I am starting to think it is bacterial. Maybe the yoga will kick it!

Mama Weimer said...

Find a sauna and sweat it out of your system.

bkmathies said...

My goodness you have been busy. Many miles since last we met. Charlie and I had a great day today and we are capping it off by spending time at a local coffee house. I have been reading your blogs and viewing your pictures. Good stuff - take care.