Searchin' for the meaning of "higher education" in such places as Finland, Oxford, Portugal, South Africa, and Athens, Georgia, USA.
The (mis)adventures of academia, travel, culture, and the best cup of tea.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Athens Favorites...Goodbye!

I will admit that living in Athens has been challenging, but there is always a silver lining to adverse situations. As I bid farewell to life in Athens here are a few of my favorite things:

1.) My man! I met Charlie in Athens and the best part of leaving Athens is that he is coming with me. He certainly made my time in Georgia sweeter and more bearable.

2.) Earth Fare--the organic food market that I frequented often. I may be parsimonious when it comes to materialistic items, but when it comes to good food I do not skimp. Earth Fare proudly advertises a list of banned food items: any food item containing high-fructose corn syrup, added trans fats, and artificial colors or sweeteners (just to name a few) never makes it on the shelf. In addition to offering healthy food options, it is a great place to grab a fresh cooked meal and free internet.

3.) Rubbersoul Yoga studio--this was the location where the negative energy was beautifully transformed into positive and compassionate energy. I taught many yoga classes here, developed and challenged my yogic philosophy through the adventure club, and enjoyed yogic bliss in shavasana.

4.) Coffee shops--Athens has a solid cafe culture and I watched it grow and change throughout my time in Athens. There is something about being around other studious people that motivates me to do work (osmosis?!), hence a lot of my time was spent at cafes. There were three in particular where I was a "regular" (especially as I studied and prepared for comprehensive exams): Walker's Coffee & Pub, (see photo at the top of this entry), Jittery Joe's, and Espresso Royale (see photo to right).

5.) Eats--Athens has a great restaurant scene, even for us veggie heads. We LOVE the GRIT, a locally owned vegetarian restaurant with the best cup of dal. We LOVE Ike n Jane's Cafe & Bakery where you can buy a super sweet Southern treat...red velvet donuts (see photo to right). But, Ike & Jane's is probably most known for their "Elvis Presley" donuts: peanut butter glaze topped with banana slices and crispy strips of bacon. Our favorite take-away spot was Dondero's Kitchen, a locally owned eatery serving up international dishes and delicious sesame noodles. The White Tiger Gourmet, "food without a 'tude", was our favorite lunch spot where the portabella mushroom sandwich and the grilled broccoli and asparagus never disappointed.

6.) UGA international offerings--I never would have imagined that my time in Georgia would have opened the door to so many international experiences. Travel to Costa Rica, South Africa, and Oxford, England was coupled with professional growth and opportunities in the field of international education as I chaperoned and taught students how to travel with a good conscious. My time at UGA ended on a high note as I conducted research on the international dimension of higher education while working for the coolest boss ever. (See photo of Jane, my boss--to right--cutting my going away carrot cake, yum, from one of my favorites, the Grit).

2 comments:

Mama Weimer said...

Sooooo, Athens did have much to offer. Did you forget the place where you can take your own drink and order Mexican food? We thought that was a great place. I'm sure I would love the donut place.

About Me said...

Ah yeah, Cali and Tito's. That is one worth mentioning! There were many good times and good eats there.